Vera advises German and international companies on all aspects of public and regulatory law, especially in areas relating to environmental law, product compliance, foreign trade law/trade sanctions, data protection, social security law, public duties and levies, AML compliance, administrative procedural law and litigation, compliance and internal investigations.
Her most recent environmental and product compliance matters include advising an international chemical company on the remediation of several, large-scale instances of soil and groundwater pollution (since 2017) and on the legal framework applicable to the use of certain chemical substances (since 2020), advising a hazardous goods warehouse on requirements under hazardous incident law (since 2021), advising an industrial company on concluding a long-term remediation of an instance of large-scale groundwater pollution (2021), advising an international machine manufacturer on the regulation of products that come into contact with drinking water (2021) and advising a middle-market building materials manufacturer on aspects of waste management and soil protection law with regard to a complex case of PFC contamination of soil and surface waters (2019).
In matters relating to foreign trade law, Vera currently (since February 2022) advises various clients on sanctions against Russia, in particular on goods-related sanctions, financial sanctions, review of compliance processes and investigation of past deliveries including business policy issues. In addition Vera has advised an asset manager (since 2021) and an energy services provider (2021) on sanctions screening, a middle-market machine manufacturer on exports to Iran as well as on the EU Blocking Regulation and its application on US secondary sanctions imposed on Iran (2020), a financial services provider on the account closure of an Iranian customer as well as on the EU Blocking Regulation (2019), an international machine manufacturer on export control compliance and sanctions imposed on Russia (2019), as well as an international automotive supplier (2019) and a service provider (2020) on notification requirements under foreign trade law and the voluntary disclosure for violating such requirements. Furthermore, Vera has many years of experience in investment review procedures and, most recently for instance, she advised an international machine manufacturer (2020-2021), various private equity investors (2021), an international supplier of laboratory products (2020), an international manufacturer of fibre-glass networks in a procedure initiated ex officio (2019) as well as an international provider of cyber security software in a sector-specific investment control procedure involving the negotiation of a security arrangement (2019/2020).
Examples of further public-law matters she has handled include advising an energy services provider on the consistency of the amended German Heating Cost Ordinance with European and constitutional law, advising a payment services provider on AML compliance of certain payments and advising a bank on know-your-customer requirements under the German Anti-Money Laundering Act.
As regards data protection law, Vera has considerable expertise in advising international clients on non-European data transfers, on data protection in M&A transactions, merger control procedures and internal investigations, as well as on data protection breaches and regulatory data protection proceedings. Recently, she has for instance advised a food delivery service in relation to an official request for information regarding data erasure and international data transfers (2022), a grocery retailer on the analysis of customer data for a purpose other than that for which the data were collected (2021), an insurance group on the validity of consent, including an official request for information (2020-2021), a debt collection service provider on the legal basis of data processing, including an official request for information (since 2021), an insurance group on the duty to keep records and the structuring of a document management system, including data transfers to a US-based cloud services provider (since 2020), and an international automotive supplier on the use of the data of a business partner (since 2020), on its duties to keep records and to erase data as well as on an approach to erasing data (2020). In company transactions, Vera has provided assistance to a consumer goods producer in the sale of a part of its business along with customer data (since 2021), an insurance group regarding the separation of data in the course of the sale of a subsidiary (2018/2019), an energy company regarding data transfers to the acquirer and to the European Commission in the context of a merger control procedure and regarding the separation of data from the parent company (2018-2020), a credit institution on data transfers in anticipation of a merger of a subsidiary to the parent company (2020) and an investor regarding a comprehensive due diligence under data protection law, in particular on data protection relating to the product (privacy by design) in the field of automated driving (2019/2020).
Her matters in compliance and internal investigations include in particular advising a media company (since 2014), a private hospital operator (2014-2016), a provider of engineering services (2019), an insurance group (2019-2021) and an asset manager (since 2021) on internal investigations into the social security status of a considerable number of freelancers ('false self-employment'), including proceedings conducted by public authorities and public prosecutors' offices. In many of the internal investigations performed by Hengeler Mueller, Vera advises on intersecting aspects of data protection law, such as the permissibility of data screenings (including the use of artificial intelligence), information and disclosure duties, the handling of private data and the transferring of data to authorities and parties to disputes.
- Admitted to bar 2006
- University of Saarbrücken (Dr. iur.) and Cologne
- Université of Paris V (René Descartes)
- Law firm in London, 2010-2011
- Interne Compliance-Maßnahmen bei Sanktionen – Achtes Sanktionspaket der EU gegen Russland, ZCG Zeitschrift für Corporate Governance 6/2022 (gemeinsam mit Dr. Anouk Ludwig)
- The risk-based approach in the GDPR, ZD 12/2022, Jungkind/Koch
- Die neue EU-Trinkwasserrichtlinie, UPR 2022, 121 ff., Jungkind/Plötz
- Beck’sches M&A-Handbuch, Datenschutz in Unternehmenstransaktionen (together with Dirk Uwer), Compliance Due Diligence (together with Constantin Lauterwein), 2nd ed. 2022
- Unternehmensverantwortung in der Lieferkette, Der Konzern 11/2021 (gemeinsam mit Carolin Raspé und Simone Terbrack)
- BeckOK Datenschutzrecht, 38th ed. (1.11.2021), Art. 40, 41 and 48 GDPR
- Liebers/Hoefs, Formularbuch Arbeitsrecht, Datenschutz, 6th ed. 2021
- Künstliche Intelligenz, Recht und Praxis automatisierter und autonomer Systeme, (§ 4 Medizin/Gesundheit – G. Datenschutz), 2021 (together with Susanne Koch)
- Die jüngste Novelle des Investitionsprüfrechts – Europäisierte Verschärfung, M&A Review 2020, pp. 412 et seq. (together with Carsten Bormann)
- Die Novelle des Außenwirtschaftsrechts – Europäisierte Verschärfung des Investitionskontrollverfahrens, Der Konzern 2020, pp. 369 et seqq. (together with Carsten Bormann)
- Risikoanalyse und zusätzliche Maßnahmen – Konzerninterner US-Datentransfer nach „Schrems II“, NZG 2020, pp. 1056 et seqq. (together with Carolin Raspé and Michael Schramm)
- Verschärfung des Außenwirtschaftsrechts vor dem Hintergrund der COVID-19 Pandemie, NZG 2020, pp. 619 et seqq. (together with Carsten Bormann)
- Interne Compliance-Programme als Instrument der Exportkontrolle, AW-Prax 03/2020, p. 103 (together with Carsten Bormann)
- Beschränktes Boykottverbot nach § 7 Satz 2 AWV neu – Freie Fahrt für die Geltung ausländischen Sanktionsrechts für deutsche Unternehmen?, AW-Prax 09/2019, p. 354 (together with Tobias Winkler)
- Datenschutz in der Unternehmenstransaktion, Der Konzern 2019, pp. 429 et seqq. (together with Thomas Ruthemeyer)
- Gemeinsame Verantwortlichkeit nach Art. 26 DSGVO zwischen Konzerngesellschaften als Bestandteil der DSGVO-Compliance, Der Konzern 2019, pp. 289 et seqq. (together with Thomas Ruthemeyer and Anna Eickmeier)
- The Foreign Investment Regulation Review, Germany, 6th ed. 2018 (together with Jan D. Bonhage)
- Boykott-Verbot versus Sanktionslisten-Screening, AW-Prax 12/2016, pp. 417-420 (together with Philipp Cramer)