Thomas has a broad public law practice and advises companies, investors and entities of the public sector in all public law and regulatory matters.
He has a particular focus on data protection law, energy law, foreign trade law, compliance and internal investigations, and represents our clients in administrative proceedings and legal disputes before administrative and civil courts. Thomas also regularly advises our clients on regulatory issues in M&A transactions and restructuring projects as well as in IPOs.
In data protection law, Thomas has considerable expertise advising on data protection compliance and data protection in M&A transactions, and also on complex employee data protection matters (e.g. in internal investigations), data transfers to authorities (e.g. in merger control proceedings) and legal and strategic aspects concerning data protection incidents, including proceedings before data protection authorities.
In energy law, Thomas represents our clients in administrative and judicial proceedings relating, inter alia, to the expansion of the offshore grid, the provision of grid system services (redispatch) and claims under the Freedom of Information Act. In energy-related M&A transactions he most recently advised EPH on the acquisition of the Schkopau power plant (2020), NAFTA on the acquisition of German underground gas storage facilities from DEA (2019) and CVC on the sale of ista (2017).
His matters in foreign trade, sanctions law and export control law include advising international companies on trade sanctions policies (2016/2017) and the Stahlgruber Otto Gruber AG on the sale of the Stahlgruber GmbH to the LKQ Corporation (2017). In 2018, Thomas worked in the export control department of an international company from the security and defence industry as part of a short-term client secondment.
- Admitted to bar 2016
- Universities of Bonn, Münster and Cologne (Dr. jur.)
- Bond University
- Gemeinsame Verantwortlichkeit nach Art. 26 DSGVO zwischen Konzerngesellschaften als Bestandteil der DSGVO-Compliance, DER KONZERN 2019, 289-295 (zusammen mit Vera Jungkind und Anna Eickmeier)
- Datenschutz in der Unternehmenstransaktion, DER KONZERN 2019, 429-437 (zusammen mit Vera Jungkind)
- Der amicus curiae brief im Internationalen Investitionsrecht, 2014
- Mängelhaftung und Garantien bei Photovoltaik-Anlagen im Lichte der AGB-Kontrolle, NZBau 2012, 743-749 (together with Ralph Busch)