Wolfgang is a senior member of the firm's public law and regulatory group and has broad experience in the multi-faceted institutional setup of government involvement with business in Germany, often for technology companies.
He specializes in contentious matters before state agencies, courts and arbitration tribunals, including the administrative, constitutional and social security court system, in the law-making and technical standardization process, and in defending companies in administrative and criminal investigations and trials. He often advises companies that are faced with unusual legal challenges, especially in the high technology sector. For more than a decade, he has been heavily involved in licence negotiations and contentious matters with copyright collecting societies.
Wolfgang has a specific focus on regulated contracts, their negotiation and related dispute resolution. In recent years, he has represented:
- the largest German cable operator in a dispute on the conditions of distribution with German public broadcasters before various civil and administrative courts
- a major search engine operator in its dispute with major German press publishers and their collecting society resulting from the newly created ancillary copyright
- Deutsche Telekom in a dispute with a major mobile service provider and the Federal Government in arbitration proceedings and contract negotiations related to the toll collection system.
Wolfgang's practice includes corporate criminal matters including corporate defence at trial. Together with U.S. counsel, he has recently been advising European companies in industry-wide investigations of the US Department of Justice and other US regulators and German prosecutors, including Mutual Legal Assistance (MLAT) proceedings.
Wolfgang acts on a regular basis for a major European hospital operator and leading service providers in the ambulant healthcare sector on their medical law matters. Wolfgang’s experience and principal areas of activity include data protection, product regulation, export control and financial sanctions, as well as planning, permitting and environmental law.
- Admitted to bar 1994
- Studium Rechtswissenschaft, Politische Wissenschaft, VWL und Romanistik
- University of Heidelberg (Dr. jur.)
- University of Edinburgh (LL.M.)
- Law firms in in Stuttgart und Berlin, 1994-1999
- University teaching position at Humboldt-University of Berlin, 2009
Gesellschaft für Umweltrecht, DAV, IBA