Michael began his professional career in Düsseldorf in 1971 as an associate of Hans Hengeler, then the senior partner of Hengeler Kurth Wirtz. In 1975 he became a partner of the firm.
From the start, he specialised in corporate law, which remains his main practice area. For more than four decades he has advised family-owned businesses and listed companies in all matters of corporate law, ranging from day-to-day corporate advice to large mergers and acquisitions. He is one of the foremost experts on German stock corporation law and the law of company groups, and is an editor of one of the leading publications on the subject in Germany (Münchener Handbuch der Aktiengesellschaft).
From 1988 until 2000, he was a member of the Board of the Association of German Jurists (Deutscher Juristentag). He greatly enjoys his work as a member of the committee for corporate law (Handelsrechtsausschuss) of the German Bar Association (Deutscher Anwaltsverein), which he joined in 1984, serving as chairman for twenty years until 2015. During this time he contributed a large number of opinions on legislative projects in corporate and securities law. Primarily in recognition of these contributions he was awarded the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany first class (Bundesverdienstkreuz 1. Klasse) in 2001.
Since 1999 Michael has lectured on stock corporation law and the law of company groups at the University of Bonn, where he was appointed as an honorary professor in 2002. He also serves on supervisory and advisory boards of a number of companies in various industry sectors.
- Admitted to bar 1971
- Universities of Freiburg, Munich and Münster (Dr. jur.)
- Editor and Co-Author: Munich Corporate Law Handbook, Vol. 4, Stock Corporation, 4th ed. 2015
- Co-Editor and Co-Author: Beck Standard Forms Handbook for Civil, Commercial and Business Law, 12th ed., 2016
- Co-Author: Munich Contracts Handbook, Vol. 1, Corporate Law, 7th ed., 2011
- Co-Editor: Zeitschrift für das gesamte Handelsrecht (ZHR)
- Co-Editor: Neue Zeitschrift für Gesellschaftsrecht (NZG)
Member Commercial Law Committee at German Law Association
Honorary Professor at University of Bonn