Deniz advises national and international companies and investors on all aspects of Public Commercial Law, in particular relating to transactions and restructurings, in administrative proceedings and legal disputes as well as in matters of internal compliance organization. Deniz specializes in Foreign Trade Law, Pharmaceutical and Health Law, Data Protection Law and background advice in matters of Commercial Criminal Law, for example in the context of internal investigations.
In his foreign trade practice, Deniz has considerable experience in the areas of anti-corruption, export control and trade sanctions. Deniz also advises foreign investors in national investment control proceedings before the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy, primarily in the defense sector. Recently, he advised KKR on the acquisition of the defense electronics business from Airbus (2015/2016), KKR/Hensoldt on the acquisition of EuroAvionics (2017) and Melrose on the public takeover of GKN Aerospace (2018).
Deniz has special legal and industry knowledge in the healthcare and life sciences sector. He advises companies in the pharmaceutical and medical device industry on the entire life cycle of their products – from research and development to their market launch –, on statutory health insurance law and on all aspects of healthcare compliance. Among his clients are research-based pharmaceutical companies such as Bayer and GlaxoSmithKline. He also regularly advises on healthcare transactions. His recent activities include advising Stirling Square on the acquisition of the Polytech-Domilens Group (2015), Waterland on the merger of Median and AHG Group (2016) and EQT on an investment in Otto Bock (2017). Deniz is author of numerous publications focusing on Health and Drug Law and member of the Promotion Circle of the Research Group on Pharmaceutical Law at the University of Marburg.
Deniz also advises on German and EU Data Protection Law, in particular on the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation for the compliance management of companies. In this context, Deniz is familiar with the current issues of digitization. Most recently, he advised Tencent on direct investments in the air taxi manufacturer Lilium (2017) and in the financial technology company N26 (2018), as well as Bosch on the acquisition of a minority stake in the mapping service HERE, which provides data for automated driving (2017/2018).
- Secondment GlaxoSmithKline 2015
- Admitted to bar 2013
- Universities of Frankfurt am Main and Marburg (Dr. iur.; additional qualification in pharmaceutical law)
- King’s College London, UK (LL.M.)
- "Sozial- und verfassungsrechtliche Grenzen der Ausgestaltung von Leitsubstanzzielen in regionalen Ziel- und Prüfvereinbarungen" (together with Dirk Uwer), in: PharmR 2016, 69-75
- "Festsetzungspraxis des GKV-Spitzenverbands im Festbetragswesen – Eine kritische Bestandsaufnahme" (together with Dirk Uwer), in: pharmind 2016, 230-232
- "Die Drittanfechtung einer Generikazulassung durch den Originalhersteller nach der "Olainfarm"-Entscheidung des Europäischen Gerichtshofs" (together with Dirk Uwer), in: PharmR 2015, 209-215
- "Therapiehinweise des Gemeinsamen Bundesausschusses sowie von Kassenärztlichen Vereinigungen und Krankenkassen im Vergleich" (together with Susanne Koch), in: PharmR 2014, 445-451
- "Patentstrategien im Fokus von Artikel 102 AEUV – Der Begriff des Machtmissbrauchs nach AstraZeneca", in: WuW 2013, 1071-1079
- "Die Verbandssanktion als Instrument der Selbstkontrolle in der Pharmaindustrie – unter besonderer Berücksichtigung der FSA-Reform vom 01. Dezember 2011", in: PharmR 2012, 322-326
- Kooperation und Korruptionsprävention im Verhältnis von pharmazeutischer Industrie und Fachkreisen – Rechtlicher Rahmen und Selbstkontrolle, Dissertation, AV Akademikerverlag, 2011