Sven advises companies and their corporate bodies worldwide
- on group-wide compliance governance programs,
- on compliance due diligence, and
- extensively on internal investigations as well as investigations conducted by German and foreign, primarily Anglo-American, criminal prosecution and regulatory authorities into potential compliance violations.
He also advises banks and their executive and supervisory board members on corporate and regulatory law issues in particular on questions of corporate organization and governance as well as on issues arising in crisis situations.
He has extensive experience and expertise in dealing with the German Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin), the European Central Bank (ECB) and various other authorities.
Sven is the author of over one hundred publications on corporate and capital markets law. He is an executive editor of the Neue Zeitschrift für Gesellschaftsrecht (NZG).
Sustainability is of particular personal interest for Sven. Together with other partners he promotes with much energy ecological sustainable behavior in our law firm. For more information please click here.
- Chambers Europe 2020 – Compliance:
„He is particularly valued for his excellent work on cross-border mandates“
„Very measured and forensic approach“
- Who's Who Legal 2021 – Investigations, Recommended
- Legal500 2020 – Compliance/Internal investigations and Banking regulatory
- JUVE 2019/20 – Leading Lawyer for Banking regulatory law
- Best Lawyers 2021 - Banking and Finance, Corporate, M&A
- IFLR1000 2020- Banking and Financial restructuring, Highly Regarded
- Admitted to the German bar in 2003
- Attorney-at-Law (New York)
- Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg, Ruprecht-Karls-University of Heidelberg and Johannes-Gutenberg-University of Mainz (Dr. iur.)
- Clerked at the Higher Regional Court of Hamburg
- Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California at Berkeley (LL.M.)
A complete list of publications can be downloaded here.
Advice on internal investigations and other compliance issues:
- Bosch: advising on the internal investigation into, and proceedings before public authorities and courts in Germany and abroad relating to, the alleged manipulation of control units for diesel vehicles
- Credit institution operating worldwide: internal investigation regarding cum/ex investigations conducted by public prosecutor's offices and BaFin against the German subsidiary credit institution of the banking group and its employees
- International listed products provider with headquarters in Germany: Senior management review of potential involvement of top management into bribes and books&records violations and/or failure of top management to implement adequate compliance structures
- International, listed digital company: Advice and design of internal investigation regarding suspected malpractice in the cross-border infrastructure sector (possible manipulative business models)
- Leading international consumer goods company: Internal investigation regarding the leakage of trade and business secrets
- International company from the manufacturing industry based in Germany: Advice on global World Bank investigations into potential corruption issues
- Deutsche Bank: lead partner on the Hengeler Mueller team advising on the global internal and external investigations into alleged manipulations of reference interest rates (especially Libor and Euribor)
- Deutsche Bank: lead partner on the Hengeler Mueller team advising on the internal and external investigations into potential violations of U.S. export control law (OFAC)
- Credit institution operating worldwide: advising on how to deal with investigations into potential violations of German securities trading law conducted against the German subsidiary credit institution of the banking group and a management board member
- Asset manager operating worldwide: advising on how to deal with investigations conducted by BaFin into potential violations of German securities trading law
- German branch of a major foreign insurer: advising on allegations of corruption brought against a member of the management board
For a description of our Compliance & Internal Investigations practice group please click here.
Banking regulatory law and corporate banking law:
- Major European credit institution: advising on the transformation of a German branch into a subsidiary bank.
- WestLB / Portigon: providing comprehensive advice on the transformation and establishment of Erste Abwicklungsanstalt EAA:
Hengeler Mueller advises WestLB on final agreement relative to the transformation